I find people either love cabbage or they hate it. I am one person who loves cabbage. It’s a very versatile vegetable. You can stuff the leaves, put it in soups and stews, make a slaw, add it to a stir fry, and the list goes on.
I like to use braised cabbage as a side for pork dishes like baked fresh sausage or a roast pork or ribs.
- One small head of cabbage – shredded
- A glob of bacon fat – leftover from the last time you fried up some bacon and kept the fat in a container in the fridge. If you don’t have any bacon fat just use some good quality oil
- 1 medium size onion – halved and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced
- One good size carrot – julienned
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- 2 Tbsps of apple cider vinegar
- and a pinch of fennel seeds
In a large frying pan, add the glob of bacon fat ( like a Tbsp or so ) put on medium heat until fat is melted then add the onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are almost translucent. Now throw in the shredded cabbage and the carrots and cook for about 10 minutes or until cabbage has wilted down and is getting hot.
Now add the seasonings to the cabbage and continue to cook until the flavours get happy and you can stick a fork through the vegetables.
Voila! Your side is done and ready to add to the fabulous meal you just made!
Remember to cook with love in your heart- the food will taste better ❤️
If you try this recipe and want to share please put your comments in the section below. Thanks