This is the perfect soup for a cold winter day! It has just the right kind of spicy heat that feels so good going down your throat. It’s loaded with vegetables and chicken and all kinds of goodness.
This is also one of Jocelynes specialties. She was trying to duplicate the clear soup we used to order from the “Thai Orchid” in Nanaimo, BC.
What Jocelyne came up with is quite a bit different as she put in different vegetables and the soup stock we use isn’t really considered a clear chicken stock but no matter it’s still really awesome.
- Two litres (quarts) of chicken stock – homemade or bought
- 1 cup of cut up / cubed chicken- leftovers or cooked chicken breast
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced
- One inch piece of ginger – peeled and roughly chopped
- 4-5 Thai chilies – left whole
- Two ribs of celery – bite size pieces
- 3 carrots – bite size pieces
- One red pepper- diced
- Six small heads of baby bok choy – cut into ribbons
- 8 oz. of Shitake mushrooms – de-stemmed and sliced
- Half a block of medium tofu – cubed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of sesame oil
- Chopped cilantro – for adding to soup before serving
Take all of the ingredients except for the leaves of the baby bok choy, the tofu, and the cilantro and put them into a large soup pot.
Bring this to a boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about half an hour or until the hard vegetables like the carrots are starting to get soft. Now add the leaves of the baby bok choy and the tofu. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
Ladle soup into bowls and top with a bit of cilantro! Enjoy 😊
Remember to cook with love in your heart – the food will taste better ❤️
If you try this recipe and want to share please put your comments in the section below. Thanks!